17.7.09

to feel alive

Why is it that living in a foreign country, working hard, spending time with orphans, sweating, with no internet and wearing nothing more than t-shirts and shorts is more appealing than the comforts of middle-class suburban living?

Is it that I'm jaded by an overload of wealth that most of the world doesn't get to experience?

Or is it that I've been numbed for so long that the rawness of that type of environment is like a slap in the face?

Or maybe I've been so numbed by comfort that once I'm finally removed from it, I can feel alive?

Or maybe my heart was just made differently?
Maybe my heart was made to break for things that most people try to not think about?
Maybe I was made with a boldness to put myself out there and that is willing to let myself be affected by injustice?
Maybe I've been touched by LOVE in a way that only makes me want to reach out and pour out more than I ever thought possible?
Maybe that's why being there makes me feel alive...

and we need people who feel alive. People who are caught up in the latest trends and lost in the flow of busy everyday life don't change the world.
Sure, showing love to one orphan doesn't change the world... but it can change theirs. Their life being changed causes them to want to change the lives of others and the snowball effect happens. So many other lives are changed because of the one. THAT changes the world.

Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?

No comments:

Post a Comment